FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

1. What time does school start and finish?

The doors for each individual year group open at 8:45am until 9am. Children arriving after this time need to enter via the office. Our registration is a rolling programme and children must be in school by 9am when the register closes.Learning time begins as soon as children enter the classroom in ‘Morning Work’ time. The school day ends at 3:30pm. Children in FSU and KS1 will be handed over to parents. In KS2, children will be taken on to the playground/out of their exit door by their teacher. The teacher will be available to speak with should you have any queries or concerns.

2. Where can I buy uniform?

Uniform can be purchased and ordered from The School Uniform Shop, 26-28 Pasture Road Goole Dn14 6EZ www.theschooluniformshop.co.uk 

3. How do I make an application for a school place?

Please look at our admissions page (under information), for detailed information on how to apply to our school. Please also note that:

Gilberdyke School operates priority criteria as listed below:

  • Children with special educational needs who have a Statement which names the school will be allocated a place. This is a statutory entitlement under the S.324 of the Education Act 1996.

  • Looked after children (including those who were in care but now adopted or subject to a residence or guardianship order) will be allocated a place.

  • Pupils who have a brother or sister (including step/half brothers and sisters) permanently resident in the same household and who will be at school at the start of the academic year.

  • Proximity of the pupil’s home address to the school. This will be calculated using a ‘straight line’ measure of distance from the front door of the child’s permanent home address to the front gate of our Key Stage 1 site. Proof of residence can be requested at any time throughout the admissions process and an offer withdrawn if misleading information is used to gain an advantage (The Local Authority GIS system (Geographical Information System) will be the system used in 2015)

The number of places available at the school is published annually and the school cannot exceed that number, which is allocated with regards to available accommodation in the school. There are 40 main school places in each year group.

East Riding Council has an admission appeal procedure. For further details regarding school admissions and appeals please telephone: 01482 392100.

Further information can be obtained from the school office and also at: http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/learning/schools-colleges-and-academies/schools-and-school-places/school-admissions-and-catchment-finder/school-places-and-admissions/

4. How much is Dinner Money?

Presently the daily cost is £2.15, payable from when your child begins their Key Stage 2 education (Year 3). All children in Key Stage 1 receive universal free school meals. Dinner money MUST be paid in advance and can be paid by sending an envelope with cash or cheque with your child.

5. Can I park at the school?

We have some car parking facilities for parents on our school site. Should there be no car parking available, we are situated on residential roads and we ask parents to park legally and with due consideration for our neighbours. We actively encourage parents with children at our school to walk where possible.

6. Can my child cycle to school?

Yes, your child can cycle if they are accompanied by an adult. If you wish your child to cycle on their own we would state that this is under the responsibility of parents. There are bike racks available at school and children must wear cycle safety helmets for their protection.

7. What should I put in my child’s packed lunch?

We encourage healthy eating and expect parents to choose healthily when creating a packed lunch.

A balanced packed lunch should contain:

  • starchy foods – these are bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, and others

  • protein foods – including meat, fish, eggs, beans, and others

  • a dairy item – this could be cheese or a yoghurt

  • vegetables or salad, and a portion of fruit

Healthy suggestions:

  • Instead of sandwiches, try bagels, pitta bread, wraps and baguettes. Use brown, wholemeal or seeded bread, not white bread.

  • Children often like food they can eat with their fingers, so chop up raw veggies such as carrots or peppers, and give them hummus or cottage cheese to dip the veggies in.

  • Breadsticks and wholemeal crackers are great finger foods that can be spread with low-fat soft cheese, or eaten with reduced-fat cheddar and pickles.

  • Replace chocolate bars and cakes with fresh fruit or dried fruit. Vary the fruit each day and get them to try new things, such as kiwi or melon, accompany this with yoghurt.

  • Children should use their water bottles to access water throughout the day.

8. What do I do if my child has lost a piece of clothing?

Parents must either sew a name label into all clothing or write the child’s name in indelible ink. If an item goes missing your child must inform the class teacher, class teaching assistant or the member of staff on the door and look in the lost property. We will do our utmost to find lost items but we are unable to provide a replacement.

9. Can my child bring toys in to school?

No, we normally discourage toys or collectables (e.g. football cards) being brought to school, unless the class teacher has specifically requested that they do. Please always check with the class teacher.

10. When is the best time to talk to the teacher if I have a question?

At Gilberdyke, we promote an open door policy, however we would discourage parents from trying to talk to a teacher in the morning as they are busy preparing for the school day. Should you need to contact your child's class teacher in a morning, a message can be left with one of our TAs on the playground. These TAs are recognised by the high visibility vests that they wear. We would advise you to speak to the teacher at the end of the school day after all the children have been dismissed, or staff are happy to receive a short message in the morning via the aforementioned TAs, or take a phone call when not in class. Staff will be available to speak to on the playground at the end of the school day and we can also make appointments in the school office for parents to see the class teacher or another member of staff.

11. Is there before and after school provision?

Each of our sites offers a Breakfast Club which runs from 8.00 a.m. to 8. 45 a.m. and costs £3.50 per day. At Gilberdyke we offer a variety of clubs for different age groups. These run after school from 3.30-4.30pm. Clubs change every term and you will always be notified of the opportunities to join a club so you can apply for a place for your child. please see our after school clubs section under 'information' to find out more.

12. How can parents get involved?

We encourage parents to get involved in various ways from attending trips to individual reading. We have a small PTFA fundraising team and would welcome new members with new ideas and contacts. If you work for a company that is able to sponsor or donate to fundraising in the school please email: gilberdyke.primary@eastriding.gov.uk or contact the school office on 01430 440668.

If you are asked to help, or you would like to help, please see the school office to go through some paperwork!

13. What happens if my child is ill or late?

If your child is not well enough to come to school, you must call the office on 01430 440668. Guidance on infection control and preventing the spread of infections can be found by visiting https://www.hpa.org.uk. If your child is late arriving at school, please come directly to the school office.

14. What if my child needs medicine in school?

If your child needs to take medicine in school you must complete a form - Request for School to Administer Medication, which can be obtained from the school office. This is a written request detailing the medication to be given along with the frequency, dosage and any other relevant information obtained from healthcare professionals. Medicine must be prescribed by a GP.
The medicine should be clearly labelled with:

  • the child’s name

  • the name of the medicine

  • the method, dosage and timing of administration (e.g. lunch time, between 12.00 and 13.00)

  • directions for use

  • the date of issue

  • the expiry date, if known

  • the length of treatment or stop date, where appropriate.

15. Can my child be taken on holiday during term time?

As a result of new government legislation, children will not be given permission for holidays during term time. Further information can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/overview

16. What should my child wear to school?

Gilberdyke Primary School prides itself on how our children look. School has a uniform for daily wear, which can be purchased from the school office. Further guidance can be found on our website in the 'information' section under 'School Uniform.'

17. Will my child be expected to do homework?

Yes, your child’s teacher will inform parents of the days when homework will be given out and when it needs to be returned. 

18. How can I find out about my child’s progress at school?

We will send you a written report at the end of the school year, which will report on key areas of your child’s progress and development. There are two formal Parent’s Consultation evenings in the Autumn and Spring term. We also offer informal open afternoons where you can come into school, talk with the class teacher and celebrate work done with your child. You can make an appointment to see your child’s class teacher at other times, if you have concerns (see Question 10).

19. How do I compare schools in my local area?

The primary school performance tables provide information on the achievements of pupils in primary schools, how they compare with other schools in the local Authority (LA) area and in England as a whole. Please visit http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/index.html

20. Is my child entitled to free school dinners?

All children in KS1 are entitled to a free school meal. However, it is vital that if you think you are eligible for free school meals you complete an application form as there are other benefits to being eligible.
Children whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals:
Income Support
Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
Support under VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Child Tax Credit - provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and annual income does not exceed £14,495
The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit

Please request a form from our school office.

21. Does the school close when it snows?

Every effort will be made to keep the school open in adverse weather conditions. We would encourage parents to use local media channels to keep updated on school closures, as telephoning the school directly blocks up the phone lines. If the school takes the decision to close, we will notify parents via text message and on our school website. We also inform East Riding Council, who post it on their website. We endeavour to keep our parents informed of the current situation regarding being open or closed on the Gilberdyke website.

22. How does the school dinners system operate?

Menus are on a 3 week rota and are sent home with your child for you to discuss and select options that your child likes. There are a variety of options and we have lots of children who stay school dinners.

23. Can my child wear jewellery?

On health and safety grounds we do not allow children to wear jewellery in our school. The exceptions to this rule are ear-ring studs in pierced ears, and small objects of religious significance. We ask the children to either remove these objects during PE and games, or cover them with a plaster (provide by the parent), to prevent them from causing injury. In addition, individuals become very upset if a treasured piece of jewellery goes missing. Please note that the school will be unable to take any responsibility for any jewellery that is lost.

24. How do I keep up to date with the latest correspondence?

Where possible, our correspondence to parents is published on our website.  We also regularly update the online calendar which lists all events for the academic year. If you’re not getting emails or text from the school, please ensure school has your most recent contact details and do let the school know if you change your email address or mobile number. If this should happen, please contact the school office who will check the information we are holding is correct.

25. How can I best prepare my child for hot weather?

We still expect children to wear appropriate school uniform for the conditions (i.e. shorts/sun dress). Could parents please ensure children bring a name-labelled hat to school to protect them from the sun during playtimes and at lunchtime. It is recommended that your child brings a water bottle to school each day, although water will be available in class as needed. Children can refill their bottles at any time during the day. If you feel your child requires additional sun protection, in the form of sun cream, please apply this in the morning, before your child comes to school.
If your child suffers from any pollen related ailments please ensure the correct name-labelled medication is in the school office with a signed parental consent form. We will encourage, and may also insist, that the children seek shelter from the sun as needed.